Monday, April 6, 2015

Some Random Thoughts Concerning Blessing

As a final thrust on this matter of blessing others, here are a few random thoughts. Hence, the title. 

First – Beware of waiting for “just the right time.”

Blessing in itself, I believe, is a part of the “comfort-coach-counsel-encourage” character of the New Testament word, paraklesis. Therefore, it is more of an ongoing relationship than a singular event. Therefore…

Second – Develop ways of incorporating drive-by blessing in real time.

Over the years I have mulled over various ways of doing this.

Thank you for helping me worship. I noticed (something about them or something they did) and I thanked God for you. Since giving thanks is a part of worship, you helped me worship.

Have I told you recently how God has used you in my life?

Are you aware of the impact what you did had on…?

I thought of you today when I read...

Imagine saying this to your son or daughter: You know one of the things I admire about you? Then tell them, without adding:  Now if you could just do a better job cleaning your room…

However, beware of letting these become meaningless clichés. Don’t overuse them.

Third – you can even bless an unsaved person. However, I would avoid saying, I’m so glad God moved you to.... A fellow Christian would be pleased to know that. An unsaved person may not be there yet. I thank God for you, works well.

Finally – don’t use blessing as bait. Yes, you want your unsaved friend to come to Christ; yes, you want your child (spouse, parent) to change in some areas; but let a blessing stand alone for God to use as He sees fit. Check out articles on authentic friendship in The Withered Grape.


In the meantime – may God bless you, and may you be a blessing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment