Wednesday, August 4, 2021

WHAT I'VE BEEN READING (May-August 2021) Report # 1

 

One of the promises I made myself this summer was to report on my reading encounters. My hope: First, that the review will prevent me from losing important things I discovered; and, second, that the project might prompt my reader(s) to pick up or download at least one or two of the selections for themselves. Here, then, is my first report (May-August 2021, but not in chronological order).



THE RHYTHM OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE

                     2019 by Brian J. Wright.

Of all the books I read, this was the only one where I started by personally meeting the author. During a week at a Christian retreat camp in the North Carolina mountains, Dr. Wright and his family were among the guests. I found him to be an engaging conversationalist who has embraced several ministry venues which let me know that he is older than he looks. At the moment of our paths crossing, he was transitioning to a co-pastoral role at a church in Texas.

Using salient quotes from Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s The Cost of Discipleship, Dr. Wright challenges his readers to adjust their thinking concerning public worship as a local church, and personal devotions as individuals. The adjustment involves a move away from the idea of routine (weekly calendar and daily job list), to a living, interactive rhythm in which each informs and is invigorated by the other.

Dr. Wright’s treatment of the analogy is rich and satisfying whether speaking of breathing, or music, or other living relationships. You get the idea that mankind was created to be in a rhythmic interrelationship of living souls. That relationship has been off-beat ever since the rebellion, and the new body in Christ is called to demonstrate good breathing in a fallen world of spiritual emphysema.  

This is not an easy transition to think about. Many of us are given to public and private worship as categories which can be evaluated and assigned personal preference. We hear it in the oft claimed assertion that some can worship better in private. Dr. Wright will not let the reader get away with that dichotomy. Rather, he takes us to the core rhythm of the Christian experience: Love God / Love Others. 

My thanks to Brian Wright of his thoughts in The Rhythm of the Christian life; and also, for our personal interaction, which was greatly appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment