Thursday, November 12, 2015

WHEN I FIND THESE THINGS, I WONDER

[A Tuesday / Thursday Variety Feature of the First Road Blog]

There is a text from the Book of Proverbs which is frequently used with regard to divine revelation. However, the maxim comes to mind whenever I run across public testimonials such as the 2012 appearance, on Britain’s Got Talent, of a group called, Only Boys Aloud
The text is:
Its primary subject is not salvation. It has in mind individual happiness through good behavior rising from a personal sense of purpose. Without that governing purpose, people are likely to set aside self-discipline. Perish can be translated, cast off restraint. Since vision may be interpreted as revelation, the message is that purpose with eternal value rises from the Word of God. While Only Boys Aloud, is not, as far as I know, a biblically oriented outreach, it does capture the general principle of casting a vision.  
Formed in 2010, under the artistic direction of Tim Rhys-Evans, Only Boys Aloud has as its mission statement: “…to encourage young men from across Wales and between the ages of 13 and 19 to effect positive change in their lives through the power of singing together.” You would find a visit to their web site a worthy read.



Of special importance to me is their commitment:

Only Boys Aloud is about something much deeper than the fleeting nature of fame, it is about belief in future generations to uphold our traditions that they may continue with pride, vitality and strength.”
That, to me, is a way of saying, give a boy a vision and he will accept the discipline which can achieve a happy life for himself and pass it on to others.
Who are these boys? They are boys invited off the streets of a country struggling with unemployment and a darkening youth culture. The invitation reads like this:
If you are a teenage boy living in Wales and would like to join us, simply click on the links to find your local choir. There are no auditions, no fees: if you can sing a lot, or a bit, or even if you’re not sure you can sing at all, but would like to give it a try – just come along! New members are always welcome…”
Such a statement makes me wonder if there might be some lessons to learn by which Christians could, on a smaller scale, reach out to troubled youth through such an atmosphere. It is worthy of special note that the two songs they sang on the stage of Britain’s Got Talent are Welsh hymns.
At the Audition and again at the Final, they sang:
Calon Lân [A Pure Heart]
[This clip includes a background sketch at the beginning.]
I don’t ask for a luxurious life, the world’s gold or its fine pearls.
I ask for a happy heart, an honest heart, a pure heart.
A pure heart full of goodness is fairer than the pretty lily.
None but a pure heart can sing – Sing in the day and sing in the night.
If I wished for worldly wealth, it would swiftly go to seed;
The riches of a virtuous, pure heart will bear eternal profit.
Evening and morning, my wish rising to heaven on the wing of song
For God, for the sake of my Saviour, to give me a pure heart.

At the Semi Final they sang:


Gwahoddiad [I Am Coming, Lord]

I hear thy welcome voice, that calls me, Lord, to thee;
For cleansing in thy precious blood, That flow’d on Calvary.
I am coming, Lord! Coming now to Thee!
Wash me, cleanse me, in the blood that flow’d on Calvary.
Though coming weak and vile, Thou dost my strength assure;
Thou dost my vileness fully cleanse, ‘till spotless all, and pure.
‘Tis Jesus calls me on to perfect faith and love,
To perfect hope, and peace, and trust, for earth and heaven above.
And he the witness gives to loyal hearts and free,
That every promise is fulfilled, if faith but brings the plea.
All hail! Atoning blood! All hail! Redeeming grace!
All hail! The gift of Christ, our Lord, our strength and righteousness



2 comments:

  1. Wonder if Matt Miller knows that second hymn! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I alerted him this post would be up today. If you go online with that title you can find a site which shows you the words in the original Welsh.

    ReplyDelete