Saturday, December 12, 2015

A 1942 CLASSIC: UP TO DATE AND PROPHETIC

[A Saturday Feature of the First Road Blog]
Because C. S. Lewis’ classic, The Screwtape Letters, deals with the universal temptations of mankind, it is always current even though its historic setting is mid-world-war-two England. Sometimes it is even hauntingly prophetic. A long time has passed since I last picked it up, and I sincerely regret the delay. Now I am seriously considering putting it on my job list as a regular read every year or two that I have left.
The book is a fun read once its layout is understood; but it can be difficult until that happens. What makes it tricky for some is that it is written in from the enemy's mind, not about the enemy's mind. A veteran devil instructs an apprentice devil on strategy for derailing a young man who has slipped through the student’s clutches and become a part of the Enemy camp – that is, the family of God. Do you see my point? The landscape changes. Whereas a moment ago I used the word "Enemy" to speak of Satan; now, in the narrative of the book, "Enemy" refers to God. Language Christians would use of their enemy, these characters use of the Christian God and his troops.  
What makes it difficult for others is that it is uncomfortably true to life. Any person who has come to faith in Christ will recognize tactics which have distracted them. But it also has the potential of clenched teeth for those who are without Christ and don’t want to be bothered with the idea they may be some kind of Satanic trophy for a future specimen jar. 
Of special interest to me was the fun Lewis had in tripping the devils up by leading them to bumble into the very moral categories they despised. It’s amusing to hear the older devil complain about disloyalty when the younger one thinks he senses heresy and turns him in to the hellish thought police.
In the process of underscoring the importance of a correct doctrinal position regarding sin and temptation, I highly recommend this book to help visualize what temptation looks like and how it ensnares in sin. I also highly recommend its warnings against Satan’s methodology of using good in order that evil may come.


7 comments:

  1. Our Dad read it and gave me a copy. I also have been reading "Letters to an American Lady", but my current favourite is "The Case for Chrisitanity"

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to write a review on "The Case for Christianity" I would be interested in posting it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would enjoy doing so, would you recommend I read his biography first? I just read the cliff notes biography (otherwise known as wikipedia) and discovered much; previously I only knew that he used to be an atheist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By all means. Also, his autobiography - "Surprised by Joy."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is "mere Christianity" the same as "the case for Christianity"? One seems to be a collection of radio broadcasts. ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I understand it, The Case for Christianity and Beyond Personality, are two particular topics which are brought together with others in Mere Christianity.

    Mere Christianity is also a compilation of those radio talks which were broadcast during World War II as a means of focusing Great Britain on its spiritual roots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the explanation. I have a copy of "The Case for Christianity" so will focus on it. I am working on collecting all his spiritual works: so far, also have "The Screwtape Letters", "Letters to an American Lady" (the subject of which I have just learned is Joy Graham) as well as "The Case..". I am collecting on the honour system (not buying online, just finding in used bookstores.

    ReplyDelete