Thursday, April 3, 2014

Florists Make Me Think of God (a little)

When I say a florists make me think of God, I have in mind my relationship to Him. Their creativity, like his, has often provided a satisfying environment; yet, had you asked me later what it looked like I could not have told you. Is that not the way it often goes with the creativity of God which surrounds us?

I was reminded of this last Sunday when I made myself really look at this beautiful arrangement in front of the pulpit at Fellowship Baptist Church, in Lakeland, Florida. It made enough of an impression to put me on the quest to find out who was responsible. In this case the kudos belong to SouthernHospitality Furniture and Home Decor store (SoHo) in Plant City.

The quest also brought to mind another florist from days gone by.

My family and I will always be indebted to Matt and Lori Baker of the Rainbow Rose Florist shop in Elkland, Pennsylvania. During my tenure as pastor of the Tuscarora Baptist Church (just across the border in New York State), they served as friends, as ministers of beauty in our local church, and as mentors to our sons. A few times I even had the chance to do some delivery work for them myself on Valentine’s Day (think “snowy roads”) and on Mother’s Day weekend.

Because of them, when I look at a floral arrangement, I sometimes wonder about the hands that prepared it. (Did you ever wonder about those hands when you ask God to bless the ones which prepared a meal you are bout to eat?) What is the attitude of the employer toward those who were responsible for the display? What is happening in the life of the one who could arrange such beauty? Who delivered it and what will be the significance of that job in his or her future life? How many people actively enjoy the ambiance created by the flowers and, as a result, seek to know who is responsible?

There’s more to a bouquet than a splash of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment