Monday, November 17, 2014

A Remembering Task

Today I have found one of those “round tuits.”
When Judy and I retired in 2012 we also downsized. That required finding a way to consolidate three filing cabinets into one-and-a-half. That meant culling many folders and either pitching the contents or creating easily packable and storable heaps. Among the victims to be heaped were my sermons. Now, at last, as a part of my growing writing discipline, I begin the process of re-organizing the stack of message notes which reach back over fifty years.
I smile at the transition from standard type (remember typewriters?) to IBM Selectric type to DOS print styles to Microsoft Word to non-hardcopy notes stored on my “Study” flashdrive. There are even handwritten notes (remember handwriting?).
Psalm143:5 speaks of remembering the days of old. It refers to Israel’s glory days as a nation led by God. However, if a person has remembered his Creator in the turbulent years since the days of his youth, it is not out of the ballpark to look back to see how he and God have walked together as revealed in the contents of messages preached.
I look forward to this trip down memory lane. Already I discover thoughts which can be brought forward again and tailored to future sermons or devotional thoughts. I look forward to re-acquaintance with things forgotten. Occasionally I lift notes from the pile and hold my breath. How many messages will I find over which I will shake my head and hope nobody remembered them within five minutes after they were preached?
Of special interest is the development of my study and preaching style. As the years progressed I found my own voice and lost the tone of commentaries.
It has been a good adventure so far (three hours), and the review is both humbling and invigorating. 

ALPHABETICAL LIST OF ALL FIRST-ROAD ARTICLES

No comments:

Post a Comment