Friday, November 7, 2014

I'll Never Forget the Look On His Face

If we understand that the call to walk worthy of the Lord is not about measuring up to his standard of righteousness but expressing in our life the worth of what Jesus did to measure up for us; then it is reasonable to ask about what this looks like. 

Let me tell you a story.

One of my many embarrassing memories goes back to my childhood. I lived with my mother’s parents. My grandfather was the head of a State Highway crew. When summer road work included mowing alongside the road he would put me on the team. With him driving the tractor, I would ride the “mowing machine” –  hoisting and lowering the cutter bar with a rope. This was quite an honor for a twelve-year-old and it felt good to sit among the men with my own dinner pail.

However, it did not sit well at the Superintendent’s office and I was summarily dismissed from my duties. Embarrassed, I climbed into the truck for the long and “unfair” ride home. On the way the road worker who drove the truck pulled over to talk with a crewman a little farther up the highway. As the man approached the truck, not knowing what had happened, he smiled at me and said something like, “Hey, is our chief mower quitting early today?”


That did it. I let loose with choice words to make my disapproval known. I did not have as expansive a vocabulary of profanity back then. There was no social media where professing Christians could sharpen my skill. Nevertheless, today’s rage enthusiasts would have been proud of me. However, the roadman and the driver were not; and neither am I.  The surprised and sad expression on the man’s face lingers to this day. So does the quiet trip the rest of the way home. 

Ponder that episode and let's talk about the look of a worthy walk.

Previous: The Worthy Walk - A Logical Respons

Next:  Grief-and-Gossip Fodder

No comments:

Post a Comment