Friday, March 27, 2015

The Look of the Blessing Place

Picture Source
So, exactly what does this “blessing” look like?
On the way to the hilltop I explained blessing itself (to speak good to someone or on their behalf) and its relationship to one generation encouraging another. This was not a time to talk about problems and give projects.
What I want to do as your pastor, (older friend, father) is let you hear a man’s voice tell you why he is glad you exist and what God has brought into his life through you.
With that background I parked, got out of the car, and talked about what I admired in the young man. In the process I pointed to the road before us and named it the first road of the rest of your life. I described hills beyond as places the road would take him to intersect with people whose lives would be blessed by his life.
I also explained that my praise was not naive. Young men think we don’t know they have struggles. They are sure we would not say good things if we did. Therefore, they need to hear us say that their struggles are part of the adventure of God’s champions. In Christ the path is not about measuring up but growing up. That is why I tried to dream for them about developing courage and wisdom on the battle fields of their soul.
Then I prayed a prayer of thanksgiving to God for them after which I drove down the road. In the stillness a guy would find his voice to say, “thank you,” in his own moment and in his own way. I never heard it said flippantly, and frequently I discovered they had more to say if I gave them time to get the words out.

No comments:

Post a Comment