Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Eileen Sutton Gives An Idea for Your Next Vacation

[A Tuesday / Thursday Feature of the First Road Blog]


Guest contributor, Eileen Sutton, writes... 
As I was growing up, we visited A LOT of zoos! My father has been a pastor for longer than I’ve been alive, but before then he was studying to be a zoo veterinarian. His passion for animals did not dissipate as he continued in the pastorate. Hence, all of our zoo visits!
Throughout my childhood, we had zoo memberships in our city or in a nearby city. We were members of the Jacksonville Zoo and, in more recent years, the Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa. When it was time for a family vacation, we looked at our travel log and compared it with our zoo’s reciprocal list and were able to visit zoos in Miami, Sanford, Cincinnati, Columbus, Washington DC, and many others. We’ve also been to the Florida Aquarium, Busch Gardens, and Sea World multiple times.
Zoos are exciting because they are never exactly the same twice. If you go early in the morning you will see animals playing and interacting with each other along with perhaps seeing an early morning feeding. In the afternoons you will see animals relaxing in the sun. If you’re especially fortunate you will attend with my dad and hear him talk with the monkeys! Ha!
My parents now have a zoo membership which includes passes for their grandchildren, so I have taken my kids several times. Zoos can include more than just animals…many zoos also offer a large children’s section with splash areas and kiddie rides. Teens and adults will enjoy educational programs or shows which increase their understanding of the animal kingdom. Hands-on animal interactions are also a favorite of many.
One of the statements I most remember my parents saying as we visited so many zoos (and one that I often say to my children): “I love seeing the creativity God used when he created…” the lionfish, or the sea dragon, or the hammerhead shark, the jaguar or elephant or tapir or zebra. The list can go on and on. While other amusement parks will focus on man-made movies, characters, or adventures, zoos put God’s work in creation on display. Granted, most zoos will give credit to evolution, but we know, and can marvel in the fact, that God deserves the credit for SO many amazing animals!
I hope you will visit a zoo in your travels soon!
Let us know in the comments (or on Facebook or Twitter) your favorite animal.

Eileen Sutton is the lead pianist for the Fellowship Baptist Church of Lakeland, Florida, and also serves as the church Secretary, and in a number of other ministry venues. She and her husband, Wayne, and their two children frequently visit zoos and other places of out-of-classroom learning opportunities. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of zoos too! My favorites are the Bears and Penguins. :)

    ReplyDelete