Friday, December 11, 2015

A CHALLENGE FOR NOT-GOD PEOPLE

Couldn't resist plugging a now-twelve-
years-old grandkid here :-) 
[A Monday / Wednesday / Friday Devotional Feature of the First Road Blog]

When doctrine is put into creed the devil can be in the details. I don’t mean to say it is wrong to establish creedal statements. I appreciate the passion of our Pastor to keep such statements before us. What I have in mind is the tendency to become doctrinally imbalanced when we read the Scripture. In the previous devotional I expressed fascination with Jesus’ ability as a boy to listen, ask questions, understand, and give answers which knocked the sandals off the rabbis with whom he spoke. Why I am intrigued is that I don’t slip into the analysis that, Oh yes, he was God. That's why he could do that.”
Of course I believe he was (and is) God. The Bible gives me no alternative, nor do I want one. But there is another creedal issue involved. I also believe he became perfect man and from infancy he grew in wisdom as well as stature. The Bible gives me no alternative with regard to that either; and neither do I want one. Therefore, when I see him functioning as a man and doing so in an exemplary way, I do not assume that he is functioning as God unless the behavior is clearly a violation of God-ordained natural law, as in walking on water or radiating a drop-dead brilliance.
That having been said, is there something I can discover in this perfect boy-who-was-God concerning growth in wisdom which applies to me as a believing man-but-not-God? And, if so, what does that tell me with regard to encouraging other believing but not-God persons to grow in wisdom? First Peter 3:15 suggests the importance of my questions.

NEXT DEVOTIONAL: JESUS' HOME - IMPORTANT ASSUMPTIONS

PREVIOUS DEVOTIONAL: THIS KID KNOCKED THEIR SANDALS OFF

No comments:

Post a Comment