Wednesday, December 9, 2015

THIS KID KNOCKED THEIR SANDALS OFF

[A Monday / Wednesday / Friday Devotional Feature of the First Road Blog]

I have in mind a Christmas play. It would begin with a boy sitting among grown men. Although the audience would not hear, the men and boy would appear to speak about great things and with great interest until the session is interrupted by the arrival of a man and woman - clearly, the boy’s parents. At that point the audience would overhear an exchange between mother and son; and one of the men would hustle them closer to the audience while the boy and the other men exit to carry on their discussion somewhere else. When they’re gone, the man would want to know more about this boy who "knocked the sandals off the rabbis."  
I have never met a boy with so many questions; and they’re such good ones; and… well… I have to admit, I’m not always sure who’s doing the teaching. I think I’ve learned more in two days of talking with your son than I learned in a month from my Rabbi when I was his age.
From that point the scenes of the familiar Nativity account pass before us on stage as Jesus' parents share their memories with the excited rabbi. 
Even as a youth Jesus had the self discipline of listening and asking questions in such a way as to impress men of education with his understanding and answers. In fact, “impress” is an understatement. The word astonished has the idea of standing out of position, like an occasional judge on a Got Talent audition who can’t stay in his seat when confronted with totally unexpected excellence.

The encounter does not align well with a concept of teaching as telling, and learning as passing tests. His skill intrigues me, not so much with regard to formal education as to the possibilities of ongoing education in the neglected art of conversation. 
NEXT DEVOTIONAL:  A CHALLENGE FOR NOT-GOD PEOPLE

No comments:

Post a Comment