Wednesday, December 2, 2015

YOUR FRIEND...ADRIFT !

[A Monday / Wednesday / Friday Devotional Feature of the First Road Blog]

The Apostle Paul wrote: “Woe is me! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death.” We read that heart-cry much too casually, especially if we be of the sort who are heard to say, “I never had that problem.” So, I took to keyboard and screen to unveil a look at the soul-depth darkness some of your friends (Christians or not yet) feel in the “Woe is me” moments. The description here is unresolved. Some of us know what Paul said next, but because we do not pause to consider the darkness, we sometimes do not think really hard about the moment when the Lighthouse sends its beam through the gloom.



When the inscrutable mist drifts in along the ragged shoreline of life,
It cannot be blown away with a whistled little tune.

As you tell me I'm self obsessed 
And need to look to the Lighthouse for my harbor,
You cannot understand why it should be so hard.
You need hear the breeze in the chilling gloom,
As it whispers my unworthiness
In the Lighthouse Keeper’s eyes,
And tells me he is right to let the lamp go dark.

"Other vessels he will guide," the cold waves chant.
"Not yours."

Images of failure, rejection, incompetence;
Realities of rebellion, anger;
And other still present habits of the flesh
Justly mock my efforts to look up,
And surround me with a chaotic silence
Abetted by memories of accusing voices and pointed fingers.

Love, joy, peace, and other fruit of the Father’s smile:
– Buoys of hope –  
– signs of the Keeper’s good life in me –
 – Testimonies of growth in likeness to his Son –
Drift by as fantasies
Vaguely floating in the brine.
No comfort to my destitution
Which will not let me excuse myself
 With that well-worn cliché of lingering self-righteousness:
“I can’t believe I did that.”


hhcomings 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment