Monday, January 20, 2020

WHEN OBEYING GOD'S SPIRIT DOESN'T GO AS PLANNED


Sergeant Jones burst into the General’s tent and almost forgot to salute. Breathing heavily, he complained: “You told me to take that hill. I got my troops ready. We all knew our orders, and when you gave the signal we moved forward right on cue.”

Without rising, the General replied: “That you did.”

Jones leaned on the General’s desk: “So how come bullets started flying around us? How come all our strategy unraveled and we had to make quick changes? How come, after fighting almost all day, we weren’t even close to capturing the hill? Did I do something wrong? Was this some kind of punishment? Because, if it was, I would have thought you would have told me. I feel deceived and discouraged. I feel like you abandoned me. I am ashamed to talk with my men. I look like a failure.”

Now the General stood and the sergeant stepped back.

“There are three things, Jones,” he said. “First, you did do what I wanted, but apparently for the wrong reason. I did not tell you to take that hill. I told you to attack it. Yes, my ultimate objective is to take it; but there will be several attacks before that’s done. What you did has taken its toll on the enemy and weakened him for the next assault.

“Second, you not only misunderstand my assignment, you became focused on how taking the hill would look. Your strategy became a strategy of appearances – a well-oiled and highly polished assault which would reduce the awestruck enemy to surrender and make you a hero to your men.”

“I had no such dream,” Jones objected.

“You must have,” the General replied as the two of them locked eyes. “You have described the battle as though it was I who was shooting the bullets around you. You seem to accuse me of unraveling your plans and keeping you in combat most of the day. May I ask you, Sergeant, who is the enemy here: them or me? Aren’t attacks supposed to draw fire? Don’t our opponents have strategies as well? And do not battles involve a constant revision of choices? And, do not even the best of victories draw blood? Tell me, Jones. Exactly when in the battle did you begin to blame me? Because it was most likely at that moment your mind unraveled more than your strategy.

“Had you come just now with a report of what you accomplished, and what you discovered about the enemy; had you come energized by the setbacks and seeking guidance for the next assignment; and had you asked me if you had fulfilled your duties, my first words to you would have been, 'Sergeant Jones, your work was spot on.' In fact, I had already prepared a report of commendation to Head-quarters.”

The sergeant bowed his head.

The General continued: “You need to know that that report will still be sent. I realize you fought two battles today. Besides the battle against the enemy outside of your head; you fought one inside your head. However, your strategy of bringing this to my attention was the strategy of a fighter. Now, let’s talk about tomorrow when Sergeant Fuller will need your support in another assault.”

No comments:

Post a Comment