Thursday, April 9, 2020

Praying for You


Today, I began building prayer focus for church family and friends around the theme of the Psalmist: “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance,” (Psalm 42:5).
Father, please, if my brother is cast down like I often am, fill his heart with a panting for Jesus (Psalm 42:1-2).
Part way into the list the thoughts came together that we are commanded to be thankful and to rejoice in the Lord.
And please, Father, may my sister in Christ see the things You give for which she can say “thank you,” and for which she can rejoice.
From there, God brought to mind a poem written by William Cowper, who knew his episodes of downcast soul. Thankfully, it’s in one of our hymn books. 

“God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea, and rides upon the storm.
Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take; the clouds you so much dread,
Are big with mercy and shall break in blessings on your head.
Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, but trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face.
His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste, but sweet will be the flower.
Blind unbelief is sure to err, and scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter, and He will make it plain.”

           So, I had only just begun today’s time of prayer when I found myself overflowing with request possibilities. I thought I would pass the idea along, and also let you know that, YES, I am praying for you. 

     May God make His face shine upon us and be gracious to us.” (Numbers 6:25)

No comments:

Post a Comment