Friday, June 13, 2014

You and Emmett at The Dead Salamander



You're not sure how to read Emmett as you reconnoiter outside The Dead Salamander. The last time you got together had been difficult. It had been one of those “We’ve got to talk,” meetings. That was when you explained that you realized what he had been doing at work and you were concerned. 

That afternoon he hung his head and sighed, “I’m sorry I disappointed you.” 

Your reply surprised both him and you.

“Emmett, you have not disappointed me. It’s not about me. I count it a privilege to have you as a friend and my life is richer because of it. Thank you.”

“You’re not disappointed?”

“Like I said, it’s not about me. Really, it’s about you; and because it’s about you I’m concerned. If you keep going in the direction you’re going you will bring damage into the lives of a lot of people and, you’re going to really hurt one of my best friends.”

“Who’s that?”

“You.” 

When he promised to think about what you said you hoped against hope he meant it. One thing that encouraged you was his last remark as you stood on the sidewalk outside the coffee shop.

“I would rather have had anybody other than you talk to me like you just did.”

“Why?”

“Because you love me. I know you do. And you really do respect me. You've been proud of me. I can’t say you’re a hypocrite.”

Now, a week later, he has asked for this meeting.

You get your coffees and sit down. He finally looks at you... and grins. 

“Guess what happened after we met? Jason, Jared and George showed up at my apartment with pizza and wings.”

You need to know that those fellows had been among Emmett’s closest friends since childhood. They knew what was going on; they loved him; and they talked.”

And he made some major changes.

Previous: You and Beauregard at the Dead Salamander

Next:  You and Brunhilde at the Dead Salamander

Home:  

No comments:

Post a Comment