Monday, June 22, 2015

Think Your Way Through


The thirteenth and last in a series on restoring the drama to the study of the Word of God.
Years ago I was introduced to the expression, “pray through.” I never found out through to what: The answer I wanted? The assurance I would get what I wanted eventually? Or, was it just achieving the assurance God heard me? It seemed very subjective and elusive. On the other hand, I did learn a “through” principle which is both biblical and definable.
Learn to think through the Bible.
Much that passes for Bible study is an accumulation of dislocated quotes about particular themes. This collecting and collating of “verses on a subject” can be misleading. Easily missed are the different contexts and episodes which nestle the text into the bigger picture; and it is that bigger picture which explains, for example, why prohibitions against pork which are “found in the bible” are no longer in force, but Old Testament prohibitions against fornication are precisely maintained in the New Testament.
Categorized and systematized truth is valuable. He who has a system has the advantage over anyone who does not. However, he who knows the narrative from which his system is drawn trumps the person with a system void of narrative.
This series of studies has sought to urge a return to memorable telling of the story. Every forest has its trails. One does not know the forest by a study of trees; but by knowing the forest he is able to study its trees without getting lost. The better we can “think through the Bible,” the better we can properly distinguish its trails. Thinking through the Bible corrects the error of treating it as a “source book” of polemic proof texts. It is a living narrative which searches hearts while answering the questions – Who am I? Where am I? Where’s it all going? And, how can I make the journey with purpose? 








No comments:

Post a Comment