Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Late Autumn Musings

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Judy and I have lived in Florida long enough to enjoy the luxury of a non-covetous nostalgia when it comes to things north-eastern. I am especially aware of the change this year - our eighth autumn away from the special features of late autumn in central New York State. Perhaps now, more than when we lived there, I have become aware of the curious beauty of the country ambiance once the breathtaking crescendo of colored leaves has passed.

In order to enjoy this sharpened awareness, more than twelve-hundred miles to the south, I have selected a variety of late-autumn photos and put them into a slide show on my laptop monitor. When I am not using the laptop - yes, there are times - I set the show in motion and, thereafter, entertain myself with an occasional glance; and sometimes the glance turns into a brief pause. In that moment I take a memory-walk down some path now strewn with leaves transitioning into compost and maybe even dusted with snow.

At Lamoka Baptist Camp in Tyrone, NY, pictured here, I enjoyed many an autumn morning standing with other men around a bedewed picnic table. Coffee in hand, and bundled lightly against a slight chill, we spoke of many things. Good memories.

Then I may turn from my desk, take today's cup in hand, and walk among the flowers and shrubs in our back yard. Good times.

Thank you, Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment