Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Walking Thoughts

 

Walking Thoughts

I just returned from a solitary walk encompassing several neighborhood blocks. It was not as pretty as the photo to the left; but it was none-the-less an exercise in gentle imagination. Whenever I take an alone-walk, I work at refurbishing my memory of hymns and Bible texts which, at one time or another, had been a part of my mental worship library. Consider challenging yourself to do the same. I wager you’ll discover that many songs and scriptures you think you remember… you don’t.

Poetic worship resonates deeply with me when it takes me into God’s creation. Today’s review focused God’s majesty in the things He made.

I sing the mighty power of God

That made the mountains rise

(except in Florida)

That spread the flowing seas abroad,

And built the lofty skies.[1]

There are two more stanzas. Why not take some time today to look them up.  Here’s a line from another favorite.

All Thy works with joy surround Thee,

Earth and heaven reflect Thy ways.

Stars and angels sing around Thee,

Center of unbroken praise.

Field and forest, vale and mountain,

Flowery meadow, flashing sea,

Chanting bird and flowing fountain,

Call us to rejoice in thee.[2]


POST SCRIPT: Actually, as I get ready to post these thoughts, in was no longer a case of "just returned." Actually, about three hours have passed as I slogged through jumbled memories of how to activate this long-unused blog. The final accomplishment (I hope) has been the reestablishing of the "subscription" option. I have taken the liberty of re-entering a few folks I know, but I don't have a list of previous subscribers. That means, if you were one or if you weren't but would like to become one, please feel free to fill in the subscription option on the main page of the post.  


[1] I Sing the Mighty Power of God. Watts.

[2] Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee. Vandyke and Beethoven.

1 comment:

  1. I also sing hymns when walking alone. Not only do I find the lyrics encouraging, but if I don’t have a hymn book, and have to look them up on my phone, I often find different testimonials of how God has used a particular hymn in another person’s life.

    ReplyDelete